WE asked Mark O'Haire (@MarkOHaire) to enter his bulging stats bible to deliver us the best ante-post stats and trends ahead of the new Championship campaign.
WLB Season Preview 2019/20 | Championship: Stats & Trends
League Winners (since 2000/01)
- Average price – 14/1.
- Average position finished year previously – 9th (5 were relegated clubs).
- 10 (71%) of the past 14 Championship title winners were priced up at 12/1 or larger.
- 6 (32%) of the past 19 winners were priced at single-figure odds.
- 5 (26%) of the past 19 league winners failed in the play-offs year previously.
- 5 (26%) of the past 19 league winners this century were priced at 20/1 or larger.
- Last two seasons the league winners had finished in the bottom-half the year previous.
Top 3 Finishers (since 2000/01)
- Average price – 22/1.
- Average position finished year previously – 10th – 13 (23%) were relegated clubs, 2 (4%) were promoted clubs.
- 16 (84%%) of the past 19 seasons has seen a side priced up at 20/1 or larger finish in the top three.
- In 6 (32%) of the past 19 seasons has seen a side priced up at 40/1 or larger finish in the top three.
Favourites (since 2000/01)
- Average finishing position – 6th.
- Average price of the favourites – 11/2 – Leeds 9/2
- Newcastle (2016/17) and Manchester City (2001/02) are the only winning favourites this century – an 11% title win rate this century.
- 9 (43%) of the past 21 favourites or joint-favourites this century have won promotion.
- 12 (57%) of the past 21 favourites or joint-favourites this century have finished in the top-six.
- 9 (43%) of the past 21 favourites or co-favourites this century have finished outside the top-six with 1 (5%) in the bottom-half.
Relegated Clubs (since 2000/01)
- Average finishing position of a relegated club – 9th.
- Relegated clubs have won the Championship in 5/19 seasons (26%).
- 14/57 (25%) clubs have won promotion straight back to the Premier League with 25 (44%) finishing in the top-six, 42 (74%) in the top-half. Meanwhile, 15 (26%) finished in the bottom-half whilst 2 (4%) suffered back-to-back relegation.
Promoted Clubs (since 2000/01)
- Average finishing position of a promoted club – 14th.
- Only 9/57 (16%) promoted clubs have suffered immediate relegation.
- All three promoted clubs have survived in 11 (58%) of the 19 seasons this century.
- 2 (4%) promoted clubs have won promotion again, 7 (12%) have finished in the top-six with 23 (40%) tabling top-half finishes. Alternatively, 34 (60%) concluded their campaign in the bottom-half with 9 (16%) suffering immediate demotion.
Unsuccessful Play-Off Campaigns (since 2000/01)
- The average finish of a losing play-off finalist is 9th.
- 2 (11%) of the 19 play-off final losers have bounced back to win the title the following season – 5 (26%) claimed promotion, 8 (42%) registered top-six finishes and 14 (74%) concluded in the top-half. However, 5 (26%) ended their next campaign in the bottom-half with 1 (5%) relegated.
- The average finishing position of a side involved in an unsuccessful play-off campaign is 9th.
- In 5 (26%) seasons this century, a team involved in an unsuccessful play-off campaign has bounced back to win the league – 14 (25%) have won promotion the year after falling in the play-offs, with 23 (40%) tabling another top-six finish and 41 (72%) registering a top-half finish. However, 16 (28%) ended in the bottom-half with 2 (4%) relegated.
- In 8 of the last 9 seasons, a team who lost out in the play-offs bounced back with a top-six finish.
Any Other Business (since 2000/01)
- The top-scoring side in the Championship has been crowned champions in 12/19 (63%) seasons this century, winning promotion on 14 (74%) occasions (average finish 2nd).
- The lowest (or joint-lowest) scoring side in the Championship has been relegated in 14/19 (74%) seasons this century, finishing rock-bottom on 7 (37%) occasions (average finish 22nd).
- The best defence (or joint-best) has been crowned champions in 8/19 (42%) seasons this century, winning promotion in 15/19 (79%) seasons (average finish 3rd)
- The side with the worst defence in the Championship has been relegated in 15/19 (79%) seasons this century, finishing rock-bottom on 11 (58%) occasions (average finish 23rd).