CARD KING Gavin Murphy (@GamePlanGavin) gives us his verdict on who to back to officiate the Euro 2016 final.
Who’ll Referee The Euro 2016 Final?
As usual with big tournaments about to kick-off there are a variety of speciality markets available.
One such market is which referee might control the European Championship final at the Stade de France on 10th July.
Whilst this is clearly a speculative punt, I think we can apply some logic to at least reduce the shortlist.
For example, were Germany to get to the final then Dr Felix Brych won’t be officiating. Applying this same logic, I think it would be foolish to back Clement Turpin (France), Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain) and Brych (Germany).
Mark Clattenburg is the 7/1 (Unibet) favourite in this market but only one referee has previously covered both the Champions League final and Euros final in the same season. History is against him, so I’m ruling him out.
That leaves us with 14 prospective candidates. Some of these are too inexperienced at this point in their careers so I’m discounting William Collum (Scotland), Ovidiu Hategan (Romania), Sergei Karasev (Russia), Szymon Marciniak (Poland), Svein Moen (Norway) and Pavel Kralovec (Czech Republic).
I think UEFA will likely opt for an experienced official and someone who has covered major tournaments before. On that basis, I’m also eliminating Martin Atkinson (England) and Milorad Mazic (Serbia).
That leaves six: Jonas Eriksson (Sweden), Nicola Rizzoli (Italy), Bjorn Kuipers (Holland), Damir Skomina (Slovenia), Cuneyt Cakir (Turkey) and Viktor Kassai (Hungary).
This is where is gets difficult because you can make a case for all these guys. This is evidenced by the fact that after Clattenburg, these are the next five favourites in the betting. The exception is Kassai who is strangely chalked up as a 17/1 outsider despite having covered big Champions League finals in his career.
Picking one man is difficult so I’m selecting two. An Italian ref has that covered 2/5 of the most recent European Championships finals and with Pierluigi Collina in charge of UEFA referees, his protégé Nicola Rizzoli must have a great chance at 8/1 (Unibet).
My other choice is another Collina favourite – Cuneyt Cakir of Turkey. He covered two Champions League semi finals this season but was overlooked for the final in Milan. At 11/1 (Unibet) he must be backed.
Euro 2016 – Nicola Rizzoli to referee the final (8/1 Unibet)
Euro 2016 – Cuneyt Cakir to referee the final (11/1 Unibet)
Want TWO Free Bets And £10 Cash?
We’ll then arrange for TWO free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts and we’ll also cover your first bet with instant cash up to £10.
Remember folks, if you ever want to join a new bookmaker give us a shout – no other site will give you extra bonuses such as free bets and instant cash like WLB!
How To Claim Your Free Bet And Instant Cash:
- Register for a new account at Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor via any of the links on this page. If you don’t use a link from WLB, you won’t be valid.
- Deposit and place your first bet (minimum £10).
- Email [email protected] to let us know your account username, the bet you placed and the bookmaker you’ve joined.
- We’ll arrange for TWO £10 free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts as well as £10 instant cash to cover your first bet.
- Remember, you’ll also be entitled to the new customer bonus or promotion with each of Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor too. However, if you don’t join via the links on this page, you won’t be valid for our free bet and instant cash giveaway.
- Free bet crediting can take up to 28 days.
- Any questions? Just drop us an email or tweet us at @WeLoveBettingUK.
|Get treble the odds on your first bet when you sign-up at 888Sport|
|Claim up to £200 in bonuses when you join Bet365|
|Claim a £50 Welcome Bonus when you join Ladbrokes. Use code 'F50'|