SCOTTISH football bible Willie Duncan (@Willie_Duncan) delivers his best Boxing Day from north of the border.
Partick v St Johnstone | Boxing Day 15.00
An untimely dip in form has left me feeling less than festive recently, but I’ve picked out a bet from the Boxing Day card that, if it lands, will see me signing off for 2015 with a bigger bang than the fireworks at Edinburgh’s Hogmanay celebrations.
Partick Thistle have been in great form of late, winning each of their last four matches and on Saturday afternoon, they play host to Tommy Wright’s St Johnstone.
Thistle came out on top when these two sides tussled at McDiarmid Park a couple of months ago and they’ll fancy their chances of repeating the trick here.
However, despite the impressive run of results put together by the Glasgow side, I can’t resist siding with the Saints at a jaw-dropping 21/10 (William Hill).
St Johnstone were beaten 3-0 by Celtic earlier this month before they huffed, puffed and failed to find a way through against ten-man Hearts in Perth last weekend, but the Super Saints have been sensational on the road.
Wright’s men have racked up a magnificent seven victories away from home in all competitions – a sequence of results that includes a 5-1 win at Pittodrie, a 3-1 win at Ibrox and a 4-2 win against Hamilton Accies at New Douglas Park.
I was at McDiarmid Park last weekend and, for Hearts, it felt like Christmas had come early leaving Perth with a point because we’d been battered and only a couple of inexplicable misses and a shocking Steven MacLean penalty had kept the hosts at bay.
To dismiss Partick Thistle’s recent run of form would be wrong and there is no doubt that Alan Archibald deserves enormous credit for the turnaround in the Jags’ fortunes following a wretched start to the campaign.
However, I can’t ignore my instinct that the price for a St Johnstone win is all wrong – partly because, for me, when all is said and done, Saints are simply a better side than the Jags.
After overindulging on mince pies, I’ll be in the mood to bash the bookies and the 21/10 (William Hill) quote for a St Johnstone win certainly looks tastier than leftover turkey sandwiches.
Partick v St Johnstone – St Johnstone to win (21/10 William Hill)
- Ladbrokes are sponsoring the Scottish league this season and to celebrate we’re giving you the chance to pick up a huge prize.
- Join SPFL sponsors Ladbrokes here and claim your £50 matched free bet.
- When you sign up via that specific link send us an email at [email protected] telling us you’ve joined.
- Once verified we’ll set you a challenge. Pass the challenge and we’ll double your sign up offer!
- Didn’t open your Ladbrokes account via our link above? Sadly you won’t qualify for the double prize.
- Any questions? Get us at [email protected]
Want TWO Free Bets And £10 Cash?
We’ll then arrange for TWO free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts and we’ll also cover your first bet with instant cash up to £10.
Remember folks, if you ever want to join a new bookmaker give us a shout – no other site will give you extra bonuses such as free bets and instant cash like WLB!
How To Claim Your Free Bet And Instant Cash:
- Register for a new account at Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor via any of the links on this page. If you don’t use a link from WLB, you won’t be valid.
- Deposit and place your first bet (minimum £10).
- Email [email protected] to let us know your account username, the bet you placed and the bookmaker you’ve joined.
- We’ll arrange for TWO £10 free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts as well as £10 instant cash to cover your first bet.
- Remember, you’ll also be entitled to the new customer bonus or promotion with each of Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor too. However, if you don’t join via the links on this page, you won’t be valid for our free bet and instant cash giveaway.
- Free bet crediting can take up to 28 days.
- Any questions? Just drop us an email or tweet us at @WeLoveBettingUK.
|Get treble the odds on your first bet when you sign-up at 888Sport|
|Claim up to £200 in bonuses when you join Bet365|
|Claim a £50 Welcome Bonus when you join Ladbrokes. Use code 'F50'|