CAN Celtic produce another great display in Glasgow? Scotsman Willie Duncan (@Willie_Duncan) delivers his verdict on their latest Champions League clash.
Celtic v Borussia Monchengladbach | Wednesday 19:45 | BT Sport
Celtic’s Champions League dream looked as if it was certain to come crashing down around their ears after just 90 minutes of their opening group stage game.
A humbling and humiliating 7-0 defeat against Barcelona at Camp Nou had the critics lining up to put the boot into the Scottish champions with some suggesting that Celtic were not cut out for the challenge that the Champions League has to offer.
Celtic, to their credit, did not cower in their corner but, instead, came out fighting and while the Hoops were unable to deliver a knockout blow against Pep Guardiola’s slick Manchester City side last month, the English side certainly got a bloody nose in a bruising encounter in the east end of Glasgow.
The electric atmosphere on big European nights at Celtic Park seems to put a spring in the home side’s step and Brendan Rodgers will be hoping that his side take full advantage of home comforts once again when they welcome Borussia Monchengladbach to Glasgow on Wednesday night.
The Germans come into this clash as favourites despite having failed to pick up a point from their opening two games in the group and Andre Schubert’s side will be acutely aware of the importance of getting off the mark in Glasgow.
In truth, this tie has the feel of a battle to determine who might finish third in a two-horse race, for it would send shockwaves around European football (not to mention UEFA headquarters) if either Barcelona or Manchester City failed to reach the last 16 of the competition.
Celtic, however, may dare to dream if they can take maximum points from this match – and, having scored a remarkable 32 goals in their last eight home games in all competitions, there is no doubt that the Hoops have the tools to get amongst the goals.
Monchengladbach have shipped 12 goals in their last four games on the road and, having won just one of their last five fixtures, the visitors could hardly be blamed if they are not exactly bursting with belief ahead of their trip to Celtic Park.
The Hoops have the not-so-small matter of a League Cup semi-final against rivals Rangers to look forward to this weekend, but Rodgers’ men will be fully focused on this Champions League crunch.
The 13/10 (William Hill) quote for Celtic to score two or more goals, therefore, is the recommended play ahead of Wednesday’s clash, for the selection would have landed in each of the Hoops’ 10 competitive matches at Celtic Park so far this season.
Celtic v Borussia Monchengladbach – Celtic Over 1.5 Goals (13/10 William Hill)
Want TWO Free Bets And £10 Cash?
We’ll then arrange for TWO free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts and we’ll also cover your first bet with instant cash up to £10.
Remember folks, if you ever want to join a new bookmaker give us a shout – no other site will give you extra bonuses such as free bets and instant cash like WLB!
How To Claim Your Free Bet And Instant Cash:
- Register for a new account at Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor via any of the links on this page. If you don’t use a link from WLB, you won’t be valid.
- Deposit and place your first bet (minimum £10).
- Email [email protected] to let us know your account username, the bet you placed and the bookmaker you’ve joined.
- We’ll arrange for TWO £10 free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts as well as £10 instant cash to cover your first bet.
- Remember, you’ll also be entitled to the new customer bonus or promotion with each of Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor too. However, if you don’t join via the links on this page, you won’t be valid for our free bet and instant cash giveaway.
- Free bet crediting can take up to 28 days.
- Any questions? Just drop us an email or tweet us at @WeLoveBettingUK.
|Get treble the odds on your first bet when you sign-up at 888Sport|
|Claim up to £200 in bonuses when you join Bet365|
|Claim a £50 Welcome Bonus when you join Ladbrokes. Use code 'F50'|