SCOTTISH football bible Willie Duncan (@Willie_Duncan) delivers his verdict on Sunday’s Scottish FA Cup semi-final showdown between old rivals Rangers and Celtic.
Rangers v Celtic | Sunday 12.00 | Sky Sports 2
As expected, Rangers strolled through the first half of their Hampden double-bill as Mark Warburton’s side crushed Peterhead 4-0 in last week’s Petrofac Training Cup final.
It hasn’t been a bad couple of weeks for the men from Ibrox; first they sealed the Championship with a win against Dumbarton at Ibrox and that was followed by the dismantling of Jim McIntyre’s outfit last weekend.
However, I’d imagine that for almost every Rangers fan, those achievements will be eclipsed this weekend if they can beat their bitter rivals Celtic and secure a place in next month’s Scottish Cup final.
I’ve got a feeling, though, that Warburton and his team are going to be left feeling blue when they come up against Ronny Deila’s men.
Admittedly, predicting the outcome of Celtic matches this season has often been about as easy as picking six numbers in the Lottery, but I expect that the Hoops will be finely tuned and fully focused for Sunday’s showdown.
Back-to-back clean sheets may have soothed some Rangers nerves, but there’s no getting away from the fact that Rangers shipped nine goals in three Championship matches prior to that.
This will be frenetic and feisty, but ultimately, it’s the defending Scottish champions (and they will almost certainly retain their crown within a few weeks) against a Championship team – albeit one that has won the second tier at a canter this season.
The odds compilers aren’t daft and the gulf between the teams has been emphasised by the fact that you can get Rangers at more than 4/1 – a price that has got followers of Warburton’s men licking their lips.
I’m not interested in backing Celtic at 4/6, though, and given the inconsistency of the men from Parkhead, I won’t be backing them (-1) at 17/10 in the handicap market.
The 8/11 quote for more than two goals to be scored, though, looks to be rock solid and it is, definitely, the way to play ahead of Sunday’s Cup crunch at Hampden Park.
Rangers v Celtic – Over 2.5 Goals (8/11 Betfred)
Want TWO Free Bets And £5 Cash?
Sign-up to Ladbrokes, Netbet, Bet365, Coral, BetBright or BetVictor via any of the links on this page, deposit and place your first bet and drop us a line at [email protected] We’ll then arrange for TWO free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts and we’ll also cover your first bet with instant cash up to £5.
Remember folks, if you ever want to join a new bookmaker give us a shout – no other site will give you extra bonuses such as free bets and instant cash like WLB!
How To Claim Your Free Bet And Instant Cash:
- Register for a new account at Ladbrokes, Netbet, Bet365, Coral, BetBright or BetVictor via any of the links on this page. If you don’t use a link from WLB, you won’t be valid.
- Deposit and place your first bet (up to £5).
- Email [email protected] to let us know your account username and the bookmaker you’ve joined.
- We’ll arrange for TWO £10 free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts as well as £5 instant cash to cover your first bet.
- Remember, you’ll also be entitled to the new customer bonus or promotion with each of Ladbrokes, Bet365, Netbet, Coral, BetBright or BetVictor too. However, if you don’t join via the links on this page, you won’t be valid for our free bet and instant cash giveaway.
- Free bet crediting can take up to 28 days.
- Any questions? Just drop us an email or tweet us at @WeLoveBettingUK.