STATS freak and rugby expert Russ Petty (@RPetty80) casts his eye over Saturday’s crucial Pool B clash between the Springboks and Scotland.
South Africa v Scotland | Saturday 16.45 | ITV1
After beating Samoa, South Africa coach Heyneke Meyer said if his team play to their strengths then nobody can beat them. The other side of that is true too and when they’ve got it wrong over the past year, the Boks have lost to Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Ireland, Wales and Japan.
Poor Jean de Villiers has no luck when it comes to World Cups but his injury and the absence of Victor Matfield for this match perhaps means that South Africa have stumbled upon their best team of the year.
In contrast, Scotland are without a number of key starters including Finn Russell and Mark Bennett. Vern Cotter’s team have scored an average of 26 points in the 13 games with Russell starting at fly-half since June 2014, compared to 17 without him.
It is an average of 12 points scored when the half-backs Duncan Weir and Greig Laidlaw have been paired together and this will be just the second start for the centre combination of Matt Scott and Richie Vernon.
Scotland outscored both Japan and USA by 30 points after the break in the earlier pool matches but their slow starts might be a concern. Last year they were 19-3 down after 16 minutes against South Africa, having conceded a try in the third minute. They year before they trailed by 21-0 after 32 minutes, with the Boks scoring in the fourth minute.
I’ll back another strong Springboks start against the Scots with the -6 first-half handicap a 10/11 option with Boylesports. It’s also well worth noting a South African forward has scored the first try in four of the previous five meetings. Lock Lood de Jager has four tries from six starts, including a brace against Scotland last year and is 50/1 with Boylesports to open the scoring.
South Africa v Scotland – South Africa -6 first-half handicap (10/11 Boylesports)
South Africa v Scotland – Lood de Jager to score the first try (50/1 Boylesports)
We Give You EXTRA!
Whenever you join a bookmaker from our site you get more than from anywhere else.
Not only will you get the sign up offer but we’ll give you cash or even a top prize as well as this.
The latest sign-up offers are available here.
Want TWO Free Bets And £10 Cash?
We’ll then arrange for TWO free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts and we’ll also cover your first bet with instant cash up to £10.
Remember folks, if you ever want to join a new bookmaker give us a shout – no other site will give you extra bonuses such as free bets and instant cash like WLB!
How To Claim Your Free Bet And Instant Cash:
- Register for a new account at Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor via any of the links on this page. If you don’t use a link from WLB, you won’t be valid.
- Deposit and place your first bet (minimum £10).
- Email [email protected] to let us know your account username, the bet you placed and the bookmaker you’ve joined.
- We’ll arrange for TWO £10 free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts as well as £10 instant cash to cover your first bet.
- Remember, you’ll also be entitled to the new customer bonus or promotion with each of Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor too. However, if you don’t join via the links on this page, you won’t be valid for our free bet and instant cash giveaway.
- Free bet crediting can take up to 28 days.
- Any questions? Just drop us an email or tweet us at @WeLoveBettingUK.
|Get treble the odds on your first bet when you sign-up at 888Sport|
|Claim up to £200 in bonuses when you join Bet365|
|Claim a £50 Welcome Bonus when you join Ladbrokes. Use code 'F50'|