SOUTHAMPTON’S next task in Europe is to take on Denmark’s FC Midtjylland. Will they win at St Mary’s? Chris Graham (@chrisgraham79) looks at the odds.
Southampton v FC Midtjylland | Thursday 20:00 | BT Sport Europe
Doesn’t matter how you dress it up that was an alarming defeat for Southampton on Saturday. Losing 3-0 to Everton at home is not what we expect from this established top half side and there must be an air of trepidation about this tie.
Vitesse Arnhem were beaten with ease in the previous round by Saints and they now face Denmark’s Midtjylland in the Europa League play-off round.
The Danes have dropped down from the Champions League after they were knocked out by APOEL Nicosia in the third qualifying round. That was an unfortunate defeat as they succumbed on away goals after losing 2-1 at home in the opening leg.
I actually think Midtjylland look underrated here at 11/1. Would Southampton beat APOEL? Would they get through the Champions League play-off rounds? Possibly, but by no means a given.
Southampton are as short as 3/10 to win this match and that’s pitched too narrow for me. They may play an under-strength side after that defeat at the weekend. Newly promoted Watford are next in their Premier League fixture list and defeat against them would introduce mild panic.
The Danes have been very tight so far this season. In nine games in 2015/16 they’ve kept seven clean sheets and have picked up 13 points out of 15 in their domestic league. P9 W7 D1 L1 is impressive stuff.
With Midtjylland looking defensively sound and the odds framed for a strong Southampton performance I’ll plump for the Under 2.5 Goals bet which to me looks hot at odds against.
Southampton v FC Midtjylland – Under 2.5 Goals (21/20 Bet365)
- Ladbrokes are sponsoring the Scottish league this season and to celebrate we’re giving you the chance to pick up a huge prize.
- Join SPFL sponsors Ladbrokes here and claim your £50 matched free bet.
- When you sign up via that specific link send us an email at [email protected] telling us you’ve joined.
- Once verified we’ll set you a challenge. Pass the challenge and we’ll double your sign up offer!
- Didn’t open your Ladbrokes account via our link above? Sadly you won’t qualify for the double prize.
- Any questions? Get us at [email protected]
Want TWO Free Bets And £10 Cash?
We’ll then arrange for TWO free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts and we’ll also cover your first bet with instant cash up to £10.
Remember folks, if you ever want to join a new bookmaker give us a shout – no other site will give you extra bonuses such as free bets and instant cash like WLB!
How To Claim Your Free Bet And Instant Cash:
- Register for a new account at Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor via any of the links on this page. If you don’t use a link from WLB, you won’t be valid.
- Deposit and place your first bet (minimum £10).
- Email [email protected] to let us know your account username, the bet you placed and the bookmaker you’ve joined.
- We’ll arrange for TWO £10 free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts as well as £10 instant cash to cover your first bet.
- Remember, you’ll also be entitled to the new customer bonus or promotion with each of Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor too. However, if you don’t join via the links on this page, you won’t be valid for our free bet and instant cash giveaway.
- Free bet crediting can take up to 28 days.
- Any questions? Just drop us an email or tweet us at @WeLoveBettingUK.
|Get treble the odds on your first bet when you sign-up at 888Sport|
|Claim up to £200 in bonuses when you join Bet365|
|Claim a £50 Welcome Bonus when you join Ladbrokes. Use code 'F50'|