THE curtain raiser to the season takes place on Sunday between Arsenal and Chelsea. Chris Graham (@chrisgraham79) gives us his thoughts.
Arsenal v Chelsea | Sunday 15:00 | BT Sport 1
Ah, the annual puzzle of the Community Shield. On Sunday league winners Chelsea face FA Cup winners Arsenal at Wembley with the first ‘trophy’ of the season up for grabs.
If you like to factor pre-season into your thoughts here then it’s Arsenal who are the bet. The North London club have won all their warm up matches this summer, picked up two trophies and beat Lyon 6-0 in the Emirates Cup. They’ve looked slick and easy on the eye.
For Chelsea there was the 4-2 defeat to New York Red Bulls with poor Asmir Begovic taking the heat and draws against Paris St Germain and Barcelona.
Chelsea’s record in this match over the last decade is a pretty poor one. Since 2005 they’ve played in the curtain raiser six times and picked up the trophy on two occasions. Under Jose Mourinho’s management they are P3 W1 D1 L1, the drawn game saw them lose on penalties to Manchester United.
For Arsenal it’s a far rosier picture. Under Arsene Wenger they’ve participated in this match seven times and came away victorious on five occasions. The stats read P7 W5 D1 L1.
So it’s Arsenal that have the better Community Shield profile, but of course there’s a sub-plot to this match involving the managers. Mourinho has never lost to Wenger in 13 matches. They’re not particularly fond of each other so you can imagine it’s something the Portuguese holds dear in his ego.
He’ll have no desire to start the season off by losing that record so despite the fact Arsenal look the most likely winners I’m not prepared to believe that Chelsea will lose on Sunday. When a plan needs to be forced through there’s no team better than Chelsea in seeing it out.
I’ll back the draw here at 5/2 and back 1-1 and 2-2 Correct Scores at 13/2 and 15/1 respectively. Five of the last six Community Shields have gone Over 2.5 Goals.
Arsenal v Chelsea – Draw (5/2 Bet365)
Arsenal v Chelsea – 1-1 Draw (13/2 888 Sport)
Arsenal v Chelsea – 2-2 Draw (15/1 888 Sport)
Why not open an account with Coral with the new season days away?
They’re offering new customers enhanced prices on all three outcomes on Sunday.
If you take any of those prices (via the link above) we’ll buy you a beer. Just email us at [email protected] to claim your prize.
Want TWO Free Bets And £10 Cash?
We’ll then arrange for TWO free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts and we’ll also cover your first bet with instant cash up to £10.
Remember folks, if you ever want to join a new bookmaker give us a shout – no other site will give you extra bonuses such as free bets and instant cash like WLB!
How To Claim Your Free Bet And Instant Cash:
- Register for a new account at Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor via any of the links on this page. If you don’t use a link from WLB, you won’t be valid.
- Deposit and place your first bet (minimum £10).
- Email [email protected] to let us know your account username, the bet you placed and the bookmaker you’ve joined.
- We’ll arrange for TWO £10 free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts as well as £10 instant cash to cover your first bet.
- Remember, you’ll also be entitled to the new customer bonus or promotion with each of Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor too. However, if you don’t join via the links on this page, you won’t be valid for our free bet and instant cash giveaway.
- Free bet crediting can take up to 28 days.
- Any questions? Just drop us an email or tweet us at @WeLoveBettingUK.
|Get treble the odds on your first bet when you sign-up at 888Sport|
|Claim up to £200 in bonuses when you join Bet365|
|Claim a £50 Welcome Bonus when you join Ladbrokes. Use code 'F50'|