SCOTTISH football bible Willie Duncan (@Willie_Duncan) shares his favourite fancy from north of the border this weekend.
Stranraer vs Alloa | Saturday 15:00
With the Scottish Premiership's winter break upon us, there are fewer fixtures to choose from north of the border, but there is still plenty of value to be snapped up and this week's selection comes from Scottish League One.
December is always an expensive month and it proved to be a particularly costly one for Alloa Athletic, who dropped nine points in the race to be promoted from League One after settling for three draws and a defeat before Christmas.
Jim Goodwin's side, however, ensured that that ended the month and, indeed, the year on a high note when they bagged a vital 4-2 victory against Stenhousemuir on Hogmanay.
That was just the kind of result that that Wasps needed to get their season back on track and I fancy them to pick up another three points when they travel to take on another of the division's struggling sides on Saturday afternoon – Stranraer.
Brian Reid's men will have been pleased to see Alloa win at Ochilview for that result, aligned with Stranraer's 1-0 win against Queen's Park at Hampden Park saw Stenhousemuir end 2016 at the foot of the table, with Stranraer moving up.
The hosts, however, may struggle to maintain momentum for, while they claimed a battling away draw against Alloa last month, there has been precious little for Stranraer to celebrate in recent weeks.
Indeed, before seeing off the Spiders, Reid's side had won just two of their previous 10 matches – and one of those was a narrow 2-1 home win against junior side East Kilbride in a Scottish Cup clash.
Goodwin's side know the way to goal – only league leaders Livingston have found the net more often than the Wasps in League One so far this season – and that spells trouble for shaky Stranraer as only basement boys Stenny have shipped more goals in the third tier than them this term.
Alloa on the attack
Even when they weren't winning, Alloa were still scoring goals; they've only failed to find the net once in League One this term and having the ability to stick the ball in the net even when they aren't at their best could well prove pivotal again this weekend.
Alloa have been particularly potent on the road, scoring more than half of their 39 league goals on their travels and I'm happy to go with Goodwin's men against struggling Stranraer.
Alloa at 29/20 with BetVictor is my Scottish NAP this weekend.
Stranraer vs Alloa – Alloa to win (29/20 BetVictor)
Want TWO Free Bets And £10 Cash?
We’ll then arrange for TWO free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts and we’ll also cover your first bet with instant cash up to £10.
Remember folks, if you ever want to join a new bookmaker give us a shout – no other site will give you extra bonuses such as free bets and instant cash like WLB!
How To Claim Your Free Bet And Instant Cash:
- Register for a new account at Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor via any of the links on this page. If you don’t use a link from WLB, you won’t be valid.
- Deposit and place your first bet (minimum £10).
- Email email@example.com to let us know your account username, the bet you placed and the bookmaker you’ve joined.
- We’ll arrange for TWO £10 free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts as well as £10 instant cash to cover your first bet.
- Remember, you’ll also be entitled to the new customer bonus or promotion with each of Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor too. However, if you don’t join via the links on this page, you won’t be valid for our free bet and instant cash giveaway.
- Free bet crediting can take up to 28 days.
- Any questions? Just drop us an email or tweet us at @WeLoveBettingUK.