OUR racing man Graeme Johnston (@GraemeJ_83) picks out his best bets in the opening Saturday of 2017.
13:15 Sandown | ITV4
A 2 and a half mile handicap chase and despite the large field it’s not a race I think will take a great deal of winning. Only two of these won last time out and there are a lot of letters on display in the formlines so it may pay to look towards the head of the market.
Mystifiable won a couple of chases last season and was sent off favourite for a decent handicap at Aintree where he was pulled up. On his return to action he was well beaten in a decent Newbury chase and should be fitter here. He brings a good level of form into this however he takes on a couple of unexposed sorts here and I’m happy to oppose him in this.
Atirelarigo is a French recruit for the Philip Hobbs yard and rewarded connections with a win at Chepstow last time on only his fourth start in the UK. Though he had to work hard for his victory that day he is likely to improve further and has to be respected here. However in his short career on these shores he’s shown a tendency to make a few mistakes and he’ll need to brush up on his jumping if he is to win again today.
Merican Prince is another French recruit for the up and coming Amy Murphy yard and she is a trainer I really like. He’s had two starts on these shores and he’s already got a victory and a second place to his name.
Last time out he won at Southwell, and although it’s not a top track he was a ready winner and looked a horse to follow. He has a big weight to carry however he is the least exposed and most exciting runner in the field and I will be backing him to win this.
14:25 Sandown | ITV4
The Tolworth Hurdle is upon us and it’s one of the big pointers towards the top novice hurdler races in the Spring and this is an interesting renewal. In a field of just six only four of these have won over hurdles and a lot of guess work is required solving this puzzle.
Celestial Path makes his hurdling debut here at the highest level and he is one of the better flat recruits we’ve seen this year. He strikes me as an interesting addition to this sphere however this is surely an impossible task however I will be watching him closely here.
Finians Oscar won on his debut for trainer of the moment Colin Tizzard and he was an impressive winner. There is a big gulf between a Hereford novice and a Grade 1 however he is clearly well regarded and without much in terms of established form in the book from any of the runners here could be good enough today.
However as much as there isn’t a great deal of form to go on Capitaine has a Grade 2 win to his name and will be a tough nut to crack here. His win at Ascot last time out sets a good standard and he has everything you look for in a novice.
He jumps well, is uncomplicated and will expose any weaknesses in his rivals jumping. He looks like he will stay further in time and I expect Sam Twiston Davies to try and make every yard today.
13:15 Sandown – Merican Prince to win (9/2 BetVictor)
14:25 Sandown – Capitaine to win (13/8 Coral)
Want TWO Free Bets And £10 Cash?
We’ll then arrange for TWO free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts and we’ll also cover your first bet with instant cash up to £10.
Remember folks, if you ever want to join a new bookmaker give us a shout – no other site will give you extra bonuses such as free bets and instant cash like WLB!
How To Claim Your Free Bet And Instant Cash:
- Register for a new account at Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor via any of the links on this page. If you don’t use a link from WLB, you won’t be valid.
- Deposit and place your first bet (minimum £10).
- Email [email protected] to let us know your account username, the bet you placed and the bookmaker you’ve joined.
- We’ll arrange for TWO £10 free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts as well as £10 instant cash to cover your first bet.
- Remember, you’ll also be entitled to the new customer bonus or promotion with each of Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor too. However, if you don’t join via the links on this page, you won’t be valid for our free bet and instant cash giveaway.
- Free bet crediting can take up to 28 days.
- Any questions? Just drop us an email or tweet us at @WeLoveBettingUK.
Back our No-Lose NAP & Get your money back if it DOESN’T win!
There are fewer things Chris Graham enjoys more than the Cheltenham Festival and he’s confidently put up Unowhatimeanharry in the Stayers Hurdle at 3.30.
We’re so confident Chris has again made the right call that we’re offering you the opportunity to pocket a risk-free, no-lose NAP. Just open an account with our Cheltenham partners 10BET via any of the 10BET links on this page.
- Back Unowhatimeanharry (min £10 stake).
- If it wins, you’ll pocket a tidy sum. If the bet loses, we’ll cover the cost up to £10.
- After you open your account email us at [email protected] with your username and stake details of your bet.
|Get treble the odds on your first bet when you sign-up at 888Sport|
|Claim up to £200 in bonuses when you join Bet365|
|Claim a £50 Welcome Bonus when you join Ladbrokes. Use code 'F50'|