SPURS begin their Champions League campaign hosting Monaco at Wembley on Wednesday. Chris Graham (@chrisgraham79) looks at the game for us.
Tottenham v Monaco | Tuesday 19:45 | BT Sport Europe
Spurs return to the Champions League on Wednesday evening after a gap of five years and after what they achieved last season it’s everything they deserve.
At first glance I thought Spurs had pulled off a cracking draw when the groups were formed at the end of last month but in recent days I’m not so sure. While there’s no exceptional side in the section, it definitely has the feel of a very tough Europa League group.
The London club’s opponents tonight are Monaco and from there they then have to face Bayer Leverkusen and CSKA Moscow. All four clubs have shown flashes of brilliance in the Champions League over the years and it will be a test for Spurs to reach the New Year.
One worrying factor in the Tottenham’s campaign this season is that they have to play their home matches at Wembley instead of White Hart Lane.
The gut feel here is that it can’t be a good thing for the club. Perhaps not a negative, but certainly not a positive. Playing away from your usual home simply can’t be ideal and it didn’t do Arsenal any favours when they were in a similar position at the end of the 1990′s.
Onto more tangible assumptions and it’s hard not to be impressed with how Spurs have started the season. The North London side are usually still snoozing in August but arrive here unbeaten.
Draws against Liverpool and Everton are nothing to be ashamed of and wins over Crystal Palace and Stoke were encouraging, especially Saturday’s 4-0 win over the Potters which exuded confidence.
These sides met in the Europa League group stages last season with Spurs handing the French club a 4-1 doo-ing at White Hart Lane. Monaco won just one game in the section and failed to qualify.
This season though Leonardo Jardim’s side look stronger. They’ve come through two qualifying rounds and had the beating of both Fenerbahce and Villarreal.
Domestically they’ve also been thriving with a 10 point haul from their opening four Ligue 1 matches good enough to see them sit top of the league. PSG have been amongst their victims as the likes of Fabinho and Joao Moutinho have began 2016/17 well.
While odds of 5/6 on a Spurs win are hardly poor value I want to take them on here. Monaco have made one of the most impressive starts to the season in Europe, boast more Champions League experience than Spurs and are taking on opponents who aren’t playing on home turf.
I’ll get involved with the 14/5 on a draw here and back the 1-1 scoreline at 13/2 with BetVictor. This might be an edgy start for Spurs at a ground they’ve rarely thrived at.
Want TWO Free Bets And £10 Cash?
We’ll then arrange for TWO free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts and we’ll also cover your first bet with instant cash up to £10.
Remember folks, if you ever want to join a new bookmaker give us a shout – no other site will give you extra bonuses such as free bets and instant cash like WLB!
How To Claim Your Free Bet And Instant Cash:
- Register for a new account at Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor via any of the links on this page. If you don’t use a link from WLB, you won’t be valid.
- Deposit and place your first bet (minimum £10).
- Email [email protected] to let us know your account username, the bet you placed and the bookmaker you’ve joined.
- We’ll arrange for TWO £10 free bets to be dropped into your betting accounts as well as £10 instant cash to cover your first bet.
- Remember, you’ll also be entitled to the new customer bonus or promotion with each of Ladbrokes, Marathon, Bet365, 888 or BetVictor too. However, if you don’t join via the links on this page, you won’t be valid for our free bet and instant cash giveaway.
- Free bet crediting can take up to 28 days.
- Any questions? Just drop us an email or tweet us at @WeLoveBettingUK.
|Get treble the odds on your first bet when you sign-up at 888Sport|
|Claim up to £200 in bonuses when you join Bet365|
|Claim a £50 Welcome Bonus when you join Ladbrokes. Use code 'F50'|